Olympics 2016 » Sports

Olympics Day 13 Roundup – Frederick and Andrews crash out, two Tigers remain

Of the University’s two track and field assistant coaches that competed on Day 13 of the Games, one was disqualified, while the other failed to qualify for the next round.

Assistant coach Priscilla Frederick, representing Antigua and Barbuda, was eliminated when she failed to clear 1.92m in the women’s high jump qualifications. With a final clearance of 1.89m, Frederick finished 28th out of the 36 competitors.

Assistant coach Robby Andrews was disqualified from the men’s 1500m final because he stepped off the track around the 1450m mark, where he had been completely boxed in during the final turn of his semifinal heat. Andrews had posted a time of 3:40.25, which originally put him fifth in his heat and qualified him for the finals on Saturday. The disqualification officially ended Andrews’ journey at the 2016 Games. Kenya’s Ronald Kwemoi, who finished first in Andrews’ semifinal, posted a time of 3:39.42.

Assistant track and field coach Robby Andrews (right) steps off the track around the 1450m mark, which ultimately led to his disqualification.

The schedule for Day 14, the last day of the Rio Games featuring Tigers, is as follows:

12:00 p.m. EDT: Diana Matheson ’08 will play for Team Canada as it takes on Brazil for a bronze medal in women’s soccer.

2:30 p.m. EDT: Ashleigh Johnson ’17 will goal keep for Team USA as it takes on Italy for a gold medal in women’s water polo.

comments powered by Disqus